Appropriate solution in individuals with a loss of vaginal muscle tone as a part of the aging process which resulted in embarrassment and discomfort and with vaginal muscles left loose and weak
What is vaginal tightening surgery?
Vaginal tightening is becoming increasingly popular over the last few years, particularly with new mums as the vaginal muscles can be left loose and weak after childbirth.
Some women experience specific problems, such as lack of sensation and satisfaction during intercourse. The vaginal tightening and refashioning procedure improves the way your vagina looks, feels and functions; and can have dramatic results in terms of restoring your confidence and self-esteem.
Vaginal tightening is the surgical procedure that tightens the vaginal muscles, perineum, and the surrounding tissues. This surgery improves tone, strength, and control to your vaginal muscles, which enhances sensitivity and sexual experience.
Vaginal tightening surgery or vaginoplasty or vaginal reshaping surgery may benefit the women who are left with loose and weak vaginal muscles after childbirth. Vaginoplasty is the good solution for the women who experience lack of sensation and satisfaction during the intercourse which may be due to aging or natural childbirth.
Vaginoplasty can improve the appearance, sensation, and functioning of the vagina. The vaginoplasty is considered as a safe and effective procedure at any stage of life.
Vaginoplasty can also be performed alongside a number of other procedures, such as a labiaplasty.
Labial reduction includes a number of operations designed to decrease the size and degree of protruberance of the labia minora, or 'inner lips' of the vagina. The most common reason for women to request this operation is because the labia are perceived to be too large and aesthetically un-pleasing. A small number of women state that the large size of their labia make them noticeable in tight clothing, or make sports such as cycling uncomfortable. Others have problems with penetration.
The procedure is relatively simple, excising an area of the labia minora using a variety of incisions; and can be performed under local anaesthetic. Careful placement of the scar is important, however, in order to prevent painful scar contracture along the rim of the labia.
Liposuction or 'liposculpture' of the mons pubis may be an isolated procedure or performed in conjunction with liposuction of the abdomen or thighs. The appearance of the mons is enhanced by improving its definition.
In contrast, fat injections to the mons or labia majora plump out these structures, giving them a more youthful appearance.
Which individuals are suitable for the surgery?
Vaginal tightening surgery may be the appropriate solution:
- If you are concerned about the loss of vaginal muscle tone as a part of the aging process which resulted in embarrassment and discomfort.
- If your vaginal muscles are left loose and weak
- If the surrounding tissues stretched and torn after several children (natural childbirth), or sometimes after having a large baby or a difficult delivery.
How should I prepare for the surgery?
Your doctor will discuss the instructions to be followed before surgery. You should.
- Quit smoking and drinking for a specific period before the surgery.
- Avoiding taking certain drugs (aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, and herbal supplements) that could interfere with your surgery or healing process.
- Get detailed post-operative instructions from your surgeon or nurses.
- Refrain from eating or drinking for at least 12 hours before your surgical appointment time.
- Get a medical evaluation performed as ordered by the doctor.
What will happen during the surgery?
Step 1 – Anesthesia
The procedure can be completed in an hour. Your surgeon will administer a general or local anesthetic. If you are administered the general anesthetic, you may need to stay overnight in the hospital.
Step 2 – The incision
During the surgery, your surgeon will reattach and shorten the stretched muscles at the back of your vagina and remove excess skin. This helps to tighten the vaginal muscles by decreasing the diameter of the vagina.
Step 3 – Closing the incisions
Your surgeon closes the incision made with dissolvable stitches, so there is no need for physical removal. After the procedure, you are instructed to wear a panty liner.
What is the aftercare of the surgery?
To ensure a swift recovery with good results you are recommended aftercare guidelines, which include:
- Using a sanitary pad continuously until your post-operative appointment
- Avoid driving for one week following surgery.
- Taking shower twice daily post discharge and make sure that you don't use soap on the area for the first seven days.
- Drinking 2 – 3 liters of water for initial two weeks post surgery
- Avoiding thong underwear for six weeks following surgery
- Refraining from participating in the sexual intercourse for at least one month
Your doctor would recommend taking a week off work to make a full recovery, and after 2-3 weeks you will be able to feel the results of your vaginoplasty. You should have regular post-op check-up to ensure that everything is healing properly. In your follow-up visit, your doctor will advise when you will be able to resume sexual activity.
What are the postsurgical considerations?
Immediately after the surgery, you may experience bruising, swelling and minor discomfort. Vaginal tightening surgery includes the following complications:
- Anesthesia risks
- Poor wound healing
- Ongoing pain
- Damage to the underlying tissues
This website is designed to supply useful information but is not to be regarded as advice specific to any particular case. It does not replace the need for a thorough consultation and all prospective patients should seek the advice of a suitably qualified medical practitioner.