Performed in moms who have had children and want to surprise their partners, rape victims, those with ruptured hymens over the course of their lives and in those who have a desire to feel young
What is a Hymen ?
Hymen is a membrane made of mucosa at the junction of vulva and vaginal canal. It has an opening in the center for allowing menstural blood to pass through. It presence is considered a sign of virginity in females.
Its ruptures usually during intercourse; it is usually is protected from rupture due to its position and elasticity.
What is hymenoplasty (hymenorraphy)?
Hymenoplasty, hymenal ring restoration, or hymenorrhaphy is a surgical technique used to repair and tighten the hymen (membrane forming a barrier to the entrance to the vagina) to a more intact, virgin-like state which is virtually undetectable after healing.
Hymenoplasty is not generally regarded as part of mainstream gynecology, but is done in plastic surgery centers. The normal aim is to cause bleeding during post-nuptial intercourse, which in some cultures is considered proof of virginity.
Majority of the women prefer hymenoplasty for restoring their virginity. The surgery will provide you a natural virgin look. It would surprise you to know that hymenoplasty is one of the most popular procedures in the world. Just decades ago, once the hymen was broken, there was no going back. But through the process of hymenoplasty, things have apparently changed for the better on this front.
What are the types of the surgeries?
Hymen repair of hymenorraphy: Here the remnants of the natural hymen are repaired to restore the natural hymen continuity. It is done a few weeks before marriage. The stitches cut through during intercourse producing bleeding. In this type of repair, the sutures dissolve in two to three weeks and the hymen remnants get separated as prior to surgery. And this type of repair is not preferred
Hymenoplasty : here fine layered suturing is done under magnification. As the repair is layered. It heals well and is not dependent on sutures for maintaining position. If given adequate time. It heals and looks like a natural hymen. (it breaks down like a natural hymen during intercourse and does not show signs of repair). Layered repair of hymen gives good short and long term results. The sutures are fine and are done under magnification. Hymen usually heals within a week . But it will take a few weeks to soften and acquire the natural feel of hymen.
Which individuals are eligible for the surgery?
Women who prefer this surgery include
- Moms who have had children and want to surprise their partners
- Rape victims
- Those with ruptured hymens over the course of their lives
- Who are from cultures backgrounds where intact hymens are considered as proof of virginity
- Who are about to get married
- Who have a desire to feel young
How should I prepare for the surgery?
Hymenoplasty procedure is a safe procedure, can be carried out on a day care basis, with absolute privacy.
- Consult your surgeon and discuss which type of surgery would best suit your needs.
- Have realistic expectation about the surgery.
- Undergo thorough gynecological examination
- Avoid taking aspirin containing medication before two weeks of surgery
- Stop smoking and alcohol consumption 2 weeks prior to the surgery as this may delay wound healing.
What will happen during the surgery?
The hymenoplasty is usually done in a day care which may take about an hour to perform. You will be administered a general or local anesthesia. Your surgeon retrieves the torn edges of the hymen and reconstruct your hymen by layered repair under magnification. You can return home on the same day of the surgery, and resume work in a day or two. You can recover completely approximately after 6 to 8 weeks.
What is the aftercare of the surgery?
After Hymenoplasty, it is very important to maintain your hymen by making necessary adjustments in your lifestyle. You should:
- Maintain your vaginal area clean during the recovery period and avoid settling of dirt particles in the suture wounds.
- Watch for any signs of infection which are manifested as a sudden increase in pain or any extended bleeding.
- Abstain from sex initially as it may aggravate pain and soreness. You should refrain from sexual activity for at least four to six weeks and sometimes for three months.
- Avoid wearing tight innerwear (thongs) for at least 1-2 weeks post-surgery.
- Avoid using tampons until your postsurgical intercourse.
- Avoid lifting weights or doing any housework for a minimum of a week, as pressure can damage the hymen.
- Take adequate rest to promote quicker healing.
- Be prepared with panty-liners after your operation as you may bleed for about next 2 or 3 days post surgery.
- Be prepared for a little discomfort during sex, which is common after your hymenoplasty.
What are the postsurgical considerations?
Hymenoplasty is relatively a very safe procedure associated with a few side effects. However, there is always a small risk of infection and bleeding, as well as risks associated with anesthesia.
Complications with a hymenoplasty are rare. There may be a problem of over-correction leading to too tight hymen making intercourse problematic, but it rarely becomes a long-term problem.